CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

2.08.2009

Corn Bread


The BEST corn bread you will ever have!

By: Trisha
I can't remember where I got it. 

1/2 C. Butter
2/3 C. Sugar
2 Eggs
1 C. Buttermilk*
1/2 t. Soda
1/2 t. Salt
1 C. Yellow Corn Meal
1 C. Flour

*Can be made by adding 1 T. of vinegar to 1 C. milk. Do this first and set aside until needed.

Melt butter, then add sugar and mix well. Add eggs and mix well. Combine buttermilk and soda and then add to the other mixture. Mix in salt, flour, and then corn meal. Make sure not to overmix and this will leave it dry and crumbly (I think.)  
Put in greased 8 X 8, cook at 375 for 30 minutes (clean toothpick.) I like to put mine in a 
8 X 11.5 pan, because it makes a bit more and isn't so thick. 
Serve with butter, honey, or honeybutter. (If anyone has a good honeybutter recipe, I'd love it!)

When we moved out to Michigan I thought my corn bread making days were over because it never turned out well. But I found out it was because of the corn meal I was using. I like to use yellow corn meal that's Quaker brand. The other kind was so white, dry and crumbly that it wasn't worth trying to scrape it out of the pan!

PS My camera is getting old and isn't taking pictures how I want, so this is the best photo I could come up with. Also our apartment doesn't have the best lighting so that doesn't help!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

This recipe is mom's. I used to make it ALL the time when I was younger, remember? It is yummy!